On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 11:39 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 10:56:00AM +0000, Dave Ewart wrote:
> > > This has the benefit of 1) forcing software vendors to look at support
> > > linux and 2) bringing down the cost of hardware just as it does with
> > > pre-installed windows.
> > >
> > > Did I hear someone say "chicken or the egg?" which came first?
> >
> > Hmmm.  Right now, though, even if I was buying a 'Linux desktop', I
> > would be extremely likely to re-install the OS; partly paranoid, partly
> > just to get it the way I like it.  Any third-party apps would be lost
> > via this route.
> >

> You are not normal joe-user though. We geeks account for very few
> desktop/laptop sales for Dell. The vast majority of their sales come from
> the great unwashed and untechnical amongst us who ask us "what 'pooter
> should I buy mate!?", then visit the Dell website and buy one.
>
> These people are the ones who often dont run AV, rarely install updates,
> dont reinstall their OS on day1, and generally dont have a fundamental
> grounding in computing.
>
> That's why whenever I visit a friend or customer who has a PC, there are
> almost always the default AV loaded (Norton often), and AOL install icons on
> the desktop/start menu.
>
> I am not arguing that this is good practice, just that the vast majority of
> users *do* use a standard delivered OEM build for years.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

lets think about this logically.

User buys PC with no installed OS. User HAS to install there own.

User buys PC with linux installed. User has choice to do nothing,
Enthusiast installs there own anyway.

This should show that there is no difference to the Enthusiast as they
would do their own thing anyway and it carries the same workload in both
cases.

However with the user, the second case provides them a choice do-nothing
or install. Nontechnical types just want to use the computer, most do
not care how or why it works.. forcing them to install may put them off
buying a PC without MS Windows on it.

With a linux pre-install they wouldn't have to care how or why it works
the way it does, that would come later when/if they become more
inquisitive perhaps.

Most importantly a Linux pre-install would make the software companies
take note and support linux. I work at a school and have used Linux and
OSS for years for teaching all ICT curricular. We still need a MS
Windows server though because programs written for education are
inherently written only for MS Windows. Teachers see these software
titles, like them, think they will help and go buy them, then we end up
buying Windows to run them (Because teachers are generally nontechnical
people). That shouldn't happen. They should buy the software an be able
to run them on Linux/Windows/Mac/BSD/ Hell whatever OS they choose!

--
Kind regards
Alistair Crust