I checked out the ubuntuforums.org earlier today to see whether or not
there was a UK LoCo section there.

I was a little surprised to read that the mailing list had voted not
to have a presence at ubuntuforums.org and I have a little difficulty
understanding why.

Surely in this day and age, forums are a viable alternative to mailing
lists, and even preferable in some situations. I wondered if the
decision to opt out of ubuntuforums.org was influenced by a fear of
such a presence damaging the usage of the mailing list.

Whilst I can see why this might be a slap in the face to people who
have invested so much time into building up the mailing list, surely
if people would prefer to communicate through the forums, it'd be a
good idea to use them and 'grow' the community.

I am - I know making the assumption that people prefer forums, but I
think in general this assumption seems to be true. Where mailing lists
are the mainstay of open source and linux communication I think forums
would give the group a higher profile and encourage a far greater
interaction with the community.

Does anyone else agree or am I alone? Is there any harm in requesting
a UK LoCo forum?

Chris