On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 01:15 +0000, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:32:45PM +0000, Michael Wood wrote:
> > Firstly:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork#head-8c391b3699f3571c2aedfa7cb78adb4623206933
> >
> > "Feisty artwork will be designed by kwwii -- of Kubuntu Edgy and KDE
> > Oxygen Icon fame. He will be working closely with sabdfl in the design.
> > Do not expect community involvement in defining this portion."
> >
> > This seems to contradict entirely the description of ubuntu "Ubuntu is a
> > community developed, linux-based operating system ...." - Ubuntu.com .
>
> It's surprisingly difficult to create top quality artwork without
> commercial direction.  The artwork of both desktops is majority funded
> by companies.  Ubuntu Edgy tried to do community artwork but it was
> all reverted due to quality issues.

Isn't any FLOSS-influenced work supposed to be part of an ongoing
process of feedback and revision?  In software, for example, of course
you have many examples of commercial input, but this isn't an
inevitability for community projects when things aren't working.
Instead of there being 'bad' artwork isn't it a case where the community
has simply failed to function properly?  If so, then a solution is to
work on making the communities function better.

I definitely agree that some things are surprisingly difficult, but I
think there are more options than to merely turn to the commercial
sector.

Maybe the structures aren't yet in place in certain areas to better
enable this.