On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 23:10 +0100, TheVeech wrote:
> If you wanted Picasa, an easy way to install it may be to use Automatix
> http://www.getautomatix.com/
> (Link for Feisty i386 download:
> http://www.getautomatix.com/apt/dists/feisty/main/binary-i386/automatix2_1.1-3.12-7.04feisty_i386.deb)
> which is a program that makes it very simple to install a number of
> programs that aren't in the official repositories.  Personally I don't
> use Automatix and, while some people find it really helpful, others
> frown upon it.  But at the stage of learning that you're at, it's a
> compromise that's probably worth taking up.

If by "compromise" you mean "might make it painful to update packages
and will be highly likely to make an upgrade to the next release of
ubuntu break", then yes, install automatix.

Personally I wouldn't touch it, and I don't think "we" should be
advocating its use. The short term gain of quickly installing software
will quickly be forgotten 6 months later when you can't upgrade the
system easily using the standard tools.

Cheers,
Al.