Thomas Steffen wrote:
> On 4/30/07, Stephen Garton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
>> 2. How much space do I _need_ for /?
>
> A normal installation of Ubuntu (most of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, some of edubuntu,
> development tools, TeX and some simulation software) tends to come out at
> 5GB for me. You can get a away with a lot less if you choose your packages
> careful, but I think 10GB of the 80GB you have is not a bad start.

I'm about to install Fiesty on a new 500Gb drive (to boot first in a
dual boot set up with XP on a 160Gb drive in same box).

I'm going to keep things simple:  partitions for /, /home, and /swap,
following advice in this thread.

But how big should I make /, given that, if I wanted to, I could give it
100+Gb.  How much is 'plenty enough for all contingencies', given that
this is a home desktop box doing fairly routine stuff, plus acting as a
music server to stream FLAC files to a couple of Slim Devices
Squeezeboxes (hence the need for a big disc to hold the music files).

TIA
--
Ian