Hi all,

I've been a bit quiet of late, but I have been lurking.  One of the
topics that caught my eye on the UK list was Popey's suggestion about
leaflets [0].  There was a lot of discussion on the topic, then it just
seemed to fizzle out.  I'd like to resurrect the topic.

I'm batting about some ideas at the moment for raising awareness of the
Ubuntu name, so "normal" people (you know, Linux for Human Beings and
all that?) can start to absorb it into their subconscious and eventually
start to ask "So what is this Ubuntu thing anyway?"  I've put a couple
of the stickers I got with my ShipIt CDs at eye level in the local park,
for example.

(There's also a graffiti wall there that I think would look great with
the Ubuntu logo splashed all over it, but I'm not sure that sends out
the right message!)

I intend to put a couple of post cards in the local supermarkets as well
with specific messages targeting different audiences -- students, those
people who copied Windows from a mate, those whose machines always seem
to be virus-ridden, and so on.

I think it would be a good idea to involved the Marketing Team on this
(I'm not sure what the current status is with the DIY Marketing effort)
to get their input and possibly re-use some of their existing work.

Having asked a few people to ask me about Ubuntu, I got the following
questions to add to the (already pretty long) list already raised in the
thread:

  > What does the word Ubuntu mean?
  > What support would I get if I needed help?
  > Does it have a GUI similar to Windows or do I need to learn code?
  > How secure is it?
  > Is Linux a passing fad?

Cheers,

JT