baza wrote:
> What you have to remember is not to trust any security on your network.
> But, you can over do it. All of the 'hackers' I know won't sit outside
> your house trying to crack your WEP to get your eBay password etc.
>
> One of the simplest things you can do to keep people off your bandwidth
> is switch your router off when you're not going to use it. Saves
> electricity too.
>

> Baz.

Or you can do completely the opposite....

Explicitly ALLOW passersby to use your wireless network, free of charge,
and advertise the fact (on sites like www.consume.net)

We do this (a technology company), but plenty of other companies are, to
name just a couple, a cafe-bar in the middle of Horsham, a Morgan car
dealer... In both cases they did it to promote their core services
"browse the Internet while you have a drink" or "browse the Internet
while you car is being MOTd".

We have two wireless networks - one insecure just with Internet access
for visitors / passersby, and one secure which has access to our servers
(which, of course, run their own security anyway.)

M.