> > > Get a better supported network card? :S

> You also want to encourage hardware vendors to make cards that have nice
> open drivers that dont require stupid kludges like madwifi and ndiswrapper
> to make them work.

I believe that Atheros have released updates to the HAL in response to
issues ---> http://madwifi.org/wiki/ChipsetFeatures/BackgroundScanning

Unfortunately, whilst the driver is background scanning there is no
data transfer - therefore it seems a pretty daft idea to scan of
access points in network manager whilst you're associated with one in
the first place ;-)

Mailing list response from NM lead developer is -->

If the driver is actually associated to the AP, then it needs to report
that correctly via WEXT, which is the noticed by wpa_supplicant, which
is then noticed by NetworkManager. So we need to verify that the driver
is doing the right thing first, before crying wolf and patching
NetworkManager for something that in reality may not actually be
required

It kinda seems like an issue of "I'm not playing because you're not
playing nicely" with the other side saying, "We don't wanna play to
your rules" - It's a bit sad to be honest when all it takes is one
person to say - OK I'll integrate a patch (that's been written and
works) into a program that'll fix the problem.

Chris