** Mark Harrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-08-02 10:30]:
> alan c wrote:
> > What about advertising on Freecycle-
> > 'Ubuntu Linux CD - the good alternative to Windows - free install and
> > advice'
> It would be totally AGAINST the charter of Freecycle just to do this,
> and likely cause a backlash.
>
> The purpose of Freecycle is to stop stuff going to landfill... not to
> provide a platform where other groups can promote their own agendas.
>
> I would far rather than "The Ubuntu Community" approached "The Global
> Freecycle Team" and tried to put together a cross-promoted initiative to
> provide a service where we would put Ubuntu on old PCs and then
> Freecycle them...
>
> - local Ubuntu teams would be encouraged to contribute the installation time
> - local Freecycle groups would be encouraged to specifically get their
> members to contribute older PC kit
>
> There's a difference between working WITH another group, with their own
> mission, and trying to "Hijack" their services to promote our own.
** end quote [Mark Harrison]

Whilst I'd agree that a concerted effort to use Freecycle as an
advertising platform is something that should be avoided, I have seen
people acting as individuals recommending somebody try Linux,
OpenOffice, or etc. in response to requests for Windows and Office CDs.
I've also seen, as per the orignal post, PCs offered running Linux.

As to a joint effort between Ubuntu and Freecycle, I think you're
crediting Freecycle with a bit more organisation than it actually has.
>From my experience different groups have slightly different policies,
and even within a single group the policy differs from post to post at
times. Getting all the various Freecycle groups working together as
opposed to separate little 'empires' under a single umbrella isn't
something I can see happening I'm afraid.

As an example, I saw a post a few months back from somebody wanting a CD
for Windows ME or newer because their AV vendor no longer supported
their Windows 98 installation. They also, iirc, commented that they may
need a better PC and/or some upgrade parts. I decided to reply to this
with a list of alternative freely available AV products that would do
the job for him, and potentially save his PC being scrapped (sadly
suggesting Linux was not a practical option in this case). Thinking that
the information would possibly save other machines from being scrapped
I coppied the Freecycle list, but was told by the moderator that since
it was not saving something from landfill it had been blocked. A matter
of days later posts were let through for internet codes from Rice
Crispies, discount voucher for Homebase and some 'go free' vouchers
whatever they are - certainly not saving anything from landfill.