On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 18:53 +0100, alan c wrote:
> Given that Acer have said that there is no demand for Linux on laptops
> in UK (article note 1) but *are* rolling out laptops with Ubuntu in
> Asia, it is notable that even in Asia, readers are not expected to
> know anything about Linux or Ubuntu.
>
> In the following article (note 2) Asia Cnet gives a half hearted heads
> up about Ubuntu, with the implication that the readership is totally
> uninformed about Ubuntu.

Acer makes clear in their statements (in which they say that there is no
UK demand) that they measure demand by retailer demand not end user
demand. In the UK Microsoft is mostly owned by a very rich man and due
to our history of deference people in the UK tend to associate
themselves with those we see as "better", thus we specifically prefer
Windows and retailers will not ask for anything else. If a population
doesn't care either way, retailers will "demand" whatever they think
they can sell as a differentiator.

I think we should turn the SABDFL into a minor celebrity in the wider
audience.

Next series of celebrity big brother perhaps? :)

--
Tristan Wibberley

Any opinion expressed is mine (or else I'm playing devils advocate for
the sake of a good argument). My employer had nothing to do with this
communication.