On 8/23/07, Matthew Larsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey all, been a while
>
> IMO I think the idea of viral videos is a waste of time. When have
> they ever worked? I personally think its just a buzz-word and a
> marketing experiment gone crazy. We need to stop trying to 'trick'
> people in to moving to Linux. We need to show people the benefits and
> the facts, none of this bulls**t lifestyle 'join the crowd' bollocks
> that floats around too much. People make up their own minds to switch,
> its just about raising awareness, crushing the myths and informing
> people. IMO that's what will REALLY get people to switch en masse
>
> I think using live demonstrations is a fantastic idea. People get to
> see what happens, ask questions and immediatly get shown how to do it.
> This could even be extended to using pre-recorded demo's for common
> tasks etc.
>
> On another note hope everyone is having a good summer!
>
> Regards,
> --
> Matthew G Larsen
>    > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> --
> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com

Hi Matthew,

I like to think of this type of marketing idea as basically just
increasing awareness to "normal" users who don't yet know about Linux
or Ubuntu. If we succeed in making Ubuntu or Linux something that many
people know, then this will have been a great boundary crossed, I
think.

I do think that some form of marketing (viral videos being an
interesting self-propagating/free way) will help grab this
"mindshare", and I agree with you that there is potential for a lot of
crap to come en masse. However, "join the crowd" is certainly a valid
benefit from using Linux, if this is something you're looking for. You
may not be, other may (but I would suspect that the majority of users
do not care for this).

Definitely agree with you though - lets stick with the compelling
facts - fast, stable, secure.

Cheers,
Kris