On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 22:38 +0100, Kirrus wrote:
> 2) Wine and Launchers
> I've installed a program called BibleWorks 4.0, using Wine.  It seems
> to be working, but I can't create a shortcut to it.  Here's the
> problem:
> It's accessible at:
> /home/rick/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/BibleWorks 4.0/bworks95.exe
> If I open the terminal, go to the "BibleWorks 4.0" directory and then
> type "wine bworks95.exe" everything runs perfectly.  If, however, I
> type "wine /home/rick/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/BibleWorks\
> 4.0/bworks95.exe" - there's a problem.
> I think it does begin to launch BibleWorks, but the first thing
> BibleWorks does is open a small window claiming not to be able to find
> the registration files, and then refusing to go further.
> The upshot of this is that I don't know how to create a
> shortcut/launcher to let me launch it without having to go through the
> whole palava of open-terminal/cd-to-directory/launch-by-hand.
> Again not a big deal, but if there's something obvious I'm missing...
> (Kirrus - I thought, could make a shell script to do the cd etc.. but
> there's got to be a better solution...)

I use shell scripts for this kinda thing, create one called something
like bworks95.sh in the directory:

 /home/rick/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/BibleWorks 4.0/

With something simple like:

#!/bin/sh

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/BibleWorks 4.0/
wine bworks95.exe

Then chmod u+x it and set the shortcut to the .sh rather than the .exe.

 -Gav