On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 10:42 +0100, Eddie Armstrong wrote:
> I often read users saying when a new or new stable version is released
> they do a fresh install and then re-install all their configs and
> programs and other goodies.
> So...
> If I want to do a fresh install as above to end up with almost a clone
> of my present system running on a new version of Ubuntu (or just a clean
> one ) how can I get all my settings and all my programs etc without
> doing it all manually - one program at a time  ?? How do the exp people
> do it?
> Eddie

I can help with part of that.  It's going to take some spare disk space
for the simple way and you'll need to know your user name and to be a
sudo'er.

Open a terminal and enter the following, replacing USERNAME with your
actual username:

  cd ..
  sudo tar -czvf USERNAME.tar.gz USERNAME/

This will create a .tar.gz file with all your user settings and files.
Do this for each user. You can restore the files from the tarball once
you've done your fresh reinstall.

As to restoring all your installed applications.  You're back to
aptitude or synaptic as I'm not sure how you get a list of all the
optional packages installed.  If there was a simple way, you could save
that list, then do something like:

  cat packagelist | sudo aptitude install

I hope some of this is helpful and someone else can fill in the blanks.

  -Gav