> I have become (slightly ambitiously) the volunteer system admin for a
> small local charity serving a small number of vulnerable users.
> I expect to commission and admin 5 PCs each with edubuntu 7.04 (a few
> are dual boot with windows). There will be a modem router and LAN
> including a switch.
>
> I believe that something like dans guardian is probably going to be
> important, and I can see a number of how to's on the forums.
> I would prefer not to use scripts, and it seems that apps are in repos
> ok. However, my experience with cacheing, proxies, and ip tables (and
> the concepts) is sparse, and I wondered if anyone here has experience
> or comments which might help me speed up?
> tia
> --
> alan cocks
> Kubuntu user#10391

Hi Alan,

I'm running dansguardian content filtering at the moment on a network
serving 400 and odd machines. I'm happy to help you out if you get
stuck.

Actually just chucking it in and getting it going isn't too hard to be
honest. Just grab danguardian and squid and configure using the
supplied configuration files.

Open /etc/dansguardian/dansguardian.conf

Find the line that says "UNCONFIGURED"
Comment it out by appending a "#" to the beginning of the line.

If memory serves me correctly, squid arrives ready to go, but the
config file is over at /etc/squid/squid.conf

Squid should be listening on port 3128 and dansguardian on 8080 -
point your browser at yourproxy:3128 for unfiltered and yourproxy:8080
for filtered internet access.

Other things you might want to look at are

a) configuring the actual content filtering level
b) stopping squid from creating a log file (it doesn't need to,
because dansguardian does)
c) setting squid up to cache commonly accessed content to reduce bandwidth.

Other stuff might come to me later. If you have any particular
questions, I'll have a gander at the installation at work

Cheers

Chris