Michael Holloway wrote:
> 2. How many Linux users would buy a one? I'm not sure i can answer this, but
> i imagine not too many. Most linux users like to customise their machines,
> and put all the latest and greatest (or cheapest and oldest) compenents into
> it.

10 years ago, that would have been me. In fact, about 10 years ago I
_did_ build my Own PC (a Pentium-90 in fact.)

Now, I want a machine that works, with an operating system that works.

Don't get me wrong - I work in IT, I'm into the latest toys as much as
the next geek, but desktop O/Ss aren't an exciting playground for me
compared to Ajax apps :-)

As I said, I want a machine that works, with an operating system that
works. Hmm... let me think? Should I go with (out of date) XP? Should I
go with (utterly, cripplingly slow) Vista? or... can we think of another
O/S that might run a lot faster on modern laptop hardware AND be more
reliable?

I'd be INCREDIBLY tempted to go with a pre-installed,
manufacturer-supported, Linux-laptop next time round.

Mainstream buyers have a different mind-set, and the "Dell with Ubuntu
pre-installed" is hitting a lot more of those buttons than "download
this distribution" ever did.

The worst case is that Dell do the work (or get Canonical to) to come up
with a standard image for their Ubuntu laptops, and that image sits on a
server farm in Ireland not being installed from much. Net cost to Dell,
a small amount of disk space. Net benefit to Dell, marginal increase in
customer choice.

Marginal benefit to Ubuntu - huge - endorsement from Dell that our
chosen distro is supported by the biggest and the best. (Yes, I know, HP
/ IBM / RedHat, but heh... Dell has the biggest mindshare for desktops /
laptops, I suspect.)

And, for people like me, who are already on pure Ubuntu-servers at work
(4 in the operational farm, 2 development servers, and a spare box
sitting around to swap in in the event of catasrophic hardware failure),
this has a marginal benefit to ME even if I never buy a Dell Linux
Laptop - it helps convince my board (who to be fair, I've trained to
trust my technical judgement) that I am backing the right horse with
Ubuntu.....

Regards,

Mark