I can certainly relate to the hardship of breaking into the IT industry,
I personally am not qualified to any sort of recognisable level in IT
specific qualifications/certifications but on the other hand i am far
more knowledgable than 90% of people i know with degrees in IT related
subjects. I think a lot of people tend to look at IT as an easy way to
make  money  in a  job instead of actually  being interested  in the
work involved whereas I think the best IT job candidates are people like
myself who enjoy the challenge of discovering how things work and making
them better ( adapt, improve, overcome ) . Anyway just my 2 cents.

Regards

Rhys