** Chris Rowson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-09-13 20:45]:
> On 13/09/2007, Matthew Larsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > check this out
> >
> > http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/601272/killer-nic--first-look.html
>
> That's one of the most frivolous pieces of kit I've seen in a while.
> How much fun is that!
** end quote [Chris Rowson]

They totally glossed over the best feature of that card, and the one
that could make the price a bit more justifiable. One of the
applications that can be installed on the card was a firewall. Now
that's an idea I was pushing for back when I worked at SmoothWall (mk1)
- put a Linux firewall onto a PCI (or etc.) card to plug direct into a
Windows box. Of course with the extra level of hardware development
they've trimmed down the PC on a card aspect of that to the bare
minimum. Back then, and having to think along the lines of off the shelf
hardware, I was looking at cards that would have required an ethernet
connection to the host PC, and the card cost was somewhat higher - but
then so were firewalls back then!

Boy I miss the days when I could proactively work on open source stuff
rather than have to conentrate on anything that I can get paid for :( I
spend way too much time fixing Windows PCs.