> Yep, it's a strange one. People install all sorts of software on their
> Windows machines and yet I bet this wouldn't void the warranty. I'd be
> interested to read the *actual* warranty that came with the machine.
> Cracked screen hinge or not, I guess if it's in the warranty then it's
> in the warranty.
>
> Philip/.

For anyoone in this position, a check with the trading standards reveals that
while it is legal to put anything you like in a warranty, it doesn't mean it's
legal to uphold.

In this case, the fact is that PCW have a policy that requires Windows to be
the only OS installed. The goods have a material defect not one which cannot be
attributed to installed software.

I've been following this quite closely and I have to say that I'm inclined to
believe it's FUD. When it was posted on Slashdot one tof the replies was from a
Curry's (part of the same group as PC World) area manager who asked the poster
to contact him directly. I can't help but wonder if this is in fact more to do
with how the case was cracked rather than the software installed.

Dougie Richardson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://blog.lynxworks.eu/