On 9/15/07, Chris Rowson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I promise, I'm not trolling!

It's unavoidable when you mention KDE and GNOME in the same email :)

Lately, I've demonstrated Ubuntu to some real computer novices who've
> commented "why is the start button at the top", and "why are there two
> bars at the top and bottom of the screen", who have then shaken their
> heads in disapproval at this deviation from the Windows norm!

Happens to me too :)

Kubuntu, I notice is much more similar to the interface they know and
> love, so it'd make sense that it'd be the best choice for migrating
> users from Windows. Is this true? Should I try using Kubuntu as novice
> users first Linux distro?

I tried this with my Dad, also after thinking Kubuntu would better suit a
Windows user. A week later I was installing Ubuntu, with GNOME, over the
top. Some of KDE's quirks got on his nerves a bit. He has been happy with
GNOME (despite being a Windows user (*developer*) for most of his life, and
reluctant to learn anything else).

Comments?

Also on the family PC I installed Xubuntu, which, when the menu is moved to
the lower left, and renamed "Start", most barely noticed any change (already
used to FF and OpenOffice). GNOME does not allow you to set any text for the
single-icon main menu. Xfce is simple, clean, and quite fast. The only
problem is (well, when I last used it, Edgy) it lacks all the supporting
apps that Ubuntu/GNOME has. For example until Edgy, it was required to
install GNOME's printer manager to add a printer using a GUI. Still, it is
definitely worth a look so you can see for yourself.

Matthew.

PS. I have been laughed at for being both a developer and a GNOME user. To
each his own! :)