I've got a Linksys NSLU2 USB2 to Network box and it works fantastically.
It does prefer your disks to be in ext3 (so it can set permissions
properly I think!) and it's just a stripped down linux box with samba on
it and a web interface.

I've never had it fail on me (though I did have to upgrade the firmware
so my housemates could plug a FAT32 disk into it).

There's also lots of hacking of it gone on (search google for Unslung or
NSLU2). I'm very tempted to get a second one for a second set of HD's I
have kicking around awaiting USB boxes.....

Can be a pain to set up a mount point for them though!

-Matt Daubney