And to join in on this one ....

A.  Remember that what's written on the box is NOT the actual storage size
of your disk - it's some 93% less - see thread from last week

B.  Always get an external power source for your USB drive - the larger the
capacity the more juice it needs

C.  If your looking at small storage requirements, less than 16Gb, and you
backup regieme will be weekly consider CF as an alternative but only as part
of a two prong backup regieme

D.  Unless the data you're storing is easily replaced, look at two points of
storage - maybe an external drive for one day and if you've more than one
computer on a network follow Mark's example and copy to that one as well.

E.  Data is never considered valuable until you loose it

F.  Ensure that any backup media used is safely tucked out of the way - yeah
obvious but how many times have you accidentally  knocked over something?

G.  If you have something that's irreplaceable look at storing it off site,
either at a paid for storage facility, or if you get storage space from your
ISP for your own web pages, store it there instead.

My own personal regieme is I backup onto a 20 Gb USB drive from my home PC,
walk into work, upload it onto that, and let the company's auto-backup go
and store it on their servers somewhere safe.  This means I have three
sources of backup, one that's portable and goes around with me most places,
a copy on an easily accessable PC, and a last copy on a not so easily
accessable central storage device.