On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 20:02 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I thought I'd install XP first (the online tutorials I've found seem
> to assume that windows is installed before creating a dual build
> machine - which is logical enough as so many are sold with it
> pre-installed) and create partions on the single hdd as follows:
> an ntfs partion (for XP)
> a system partion for ubuntu
> a swap partion for ubuntu
> a small fat32 'shared partion' in case I want to move any files between.
>
> If anyone can see a flaw with this thinking or has some other advice
> it would be much appreciated.
>
> Fi

generally that's the normal way, its assumed that windows is installed
first because problems arise if you install windows second (it
overwrites the Master Boot Record which is required to boot ubuntu)

this wiki page may be helpful in answering any questions you might have
about duel booting: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot or
you can follow this screencast that shows you precisely how to duel boot
ubuntu dapper with windows xp
http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/Installing_Ubuntu_with_Windows_Dual-Boot
(dapper is a bit old now but the process is basically the same)

--
-- Gord ([EMAIL PROTECTED])