Fi,

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 20:02 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> So now I'd like to put ubuntu onto the desktop and give it to my mum.
> She's a complete computing novice but as I'm going to be helping her &
> I think she'd be better off learning to use ubuntu than windows. I'd
> like to also install XP 'just in case'.

Why bother with XP at all? If your mother is a complete novice and she
has no prior experience, then just teach her how to use Ubuntu!

I did something similar with my own mother about a year ago. She was
such a novice that I had to teach her how to use a mouse! I decided that
XP and all its headaches with viruses and spy ware would be too much for
her and since I live 300 miles away not easy for me to fix, so I gave
her a machine with Ubuntu on with ssh access. I visit about twice a year
and do an upgrade, but other than that I've no need to visit to fix
anything.

Her needs are quite simple though. WEB browsing, e-mail (thanks,
Googlemail!), oh and playing cards!

Just my two pen'orth!

Regards,
Tony.