I like the idea, and think that it'd be better coming from a hardware vendor,
like Dell, rather than direct from Ubuntu on TV.

I don't think that market saturation within the UK has got anywhere near the
limits where terms that we are familiar with, such as Linux, Ubuntu, Live CD,
Free/Open source etc etc, are known.  I would even go so far as to suggest that
the UK's knowledge of Mark shuttleworth isn't really that much better.

If we could get the UK Times newspaper to syndicate one of the US's or Indian
Times articles, with some appropriate background work, a suitable article could
be prepared for local and regional news media referring back to this original
article.

Has their been anything specifically on Radio 4s Click On IT program directly
relating to Ubuntu?  Again another source that could be referred back to to
provide the necessary standing and base to develop a strategy from.

So, I guess what I'm suggesting is what Chris R et al have suggested in an
around about way, and that is setting up a firm base of credible sources from
which the general public will believe, which will be used to build a suitable
marketing / information campaign.

His Excellency, Alan Pope I, are you aware of anything Ubuntu corporate side
that we can build on or support?  There seems to be a consistent re-emergence
of the marketing idea and we seem to get all fired up about it, and then it
fades away.