On 11/1/07, David Restall - System Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Jai,
>
> > Guys,
>
> Don't forget the gals/dolls !!.
>
> > Where is the best place to start with C/C++ development from a Linux
> > (or GTK) perspective? Note that I haven't differentiated between C and
> > C++. This is because I do not mind which I use. I've been looking on
> > GNU's website and they feature a manual on glibc (which is a definite
> > advantage if I use C). Where as C++ has cppreference.com (which I've
> > been informed is quite out-of-date).
>
> I wouldn't recommend K&R - it's not a book for beginners.

<snip>

 By all means by K&R but don't make
> it your first book.

I second this. Much better starting with a beginners book. K&R is something
of a reference when you are later arguing over obscure peculiarities in the
language with your friends :)

> Regardless of which of the two languages I use, I will probably be in
> > need of some tutorials (please, Linux or GTK based as oppose to a
> > Windows users' one). I don't yet have the hacker skills that some of
> > you might so I would be very grateful for a ground-base instead of
> > just diving into the glibc manual and trying to teach myself.
>
> Don't know about tutorials - though I would go with GTK+
> <http://www.gtk.org>.  I found this better documented than GTK, YMMV.

I personally find the C (and C++) APIs available for GTK rather horrible. I
would use it if I had to, but I'm using wxWidgets for cross-platform
development. It does remind me very much of MFC though :)

As for Python, etc... personally I am glad I started out with C, progressed
to C++, and then other languages. It gives you a very good ground-up
knowledge of how things work. When you get to using Python (or any language)
you not only get to master it very quickly, but you get a feel of *how* it
works internally (Python is written in C, after all).

Matthew, with his 2p.