Hi Jai,

> Guys,

Don't forget the gals/dolls !!.

> Where is the best place to start with C/C++ development from a Linux
> (or GTK) perspective? Note that I haven't differentiated between C and
> C++. This is because I do not mind which I use. I've been looking on
> GNU's website and they feature a manual on glibc (which is a definite
> advantage if I use C). Where as C++ has cppreference.com (which I've
> been informed is quite out-of-date).

I wouldn't recommend K&R - it's not a book for beginners.  My K&R is well
thumbed but was difficult to follow when I was starting out.  I bought
C The Complete Reference by Herbert Schildt (McGraw Hill I Think) but
don't know if it is still in print (We're talking 1986 or thereabouts).
If I was starting out today I'd go for Practical C++ programming by
Steve Qualline (O'Reilly) (Excellent book and very readable and a good
tutorial reference) and C++ The Core Reference by Gregory Satir & Doug
Brown - again published by O'Reilly.  By all means by K&R but don't make
it your first book.

> Regardless of which of the two languages I use, I will probably be in
> need of some tutorials (please, Linux or GTK based as oppose to a
> Windows users' one). I don't yet have the hacker skills that some of
> you might so I would be very grateful for a ground-base instead of
> just diving into the glibc manual and trying to teach myself.

Don't know about tutorials - though I would go with GTK+
<http://www.gtk.org>.  I found this better documented than GTK, YMMV.

Regards,

David
ubuntu/uk-2007-11-01.tx                ubuntu-uk [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Dave Restall, Computer Nerd, Cyclist, Radio Amateur G4FCU, Bodger          |
| Mob +44 (0) 7973 831245      Skype: dave.restall             Radio: G4FCU  |
| email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     Web : Not Ready Yet :-(       |