I used to be in the same situation as you and I can more of less
guarantee that an indoor aerial will not work with poor reception I
tried about a 4 or 5 different types and was lucky to get even a single
frame display every few minutes. When I did use a roof aerial I got some
of the channels all of the time and others came and went.

My channel 5 was a very weird one; I'd have to wait for the sun to go
down for it to work (I'm guessing must have been something to do with
the temperature of the aerial).  If you are in that situation I would
recommend investing in free satellite as there is nothing worse the
losing signal just as a program gets to a key part.

Paul