On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 17:24 +0000, Mac wrote:
> Friends >>> Following the surprisingly few responses to some recent
> questions about wifi, I'm beginning to wonder how many of us are
> actually using Ubuntu wirelessly on laptops.
>
> So here's a quick poll:
>
> Do you use Ubuntu on a laptop + wifi?
>
> And, if you do, do you use
>
> no encryption / WEP / WPA / WPA2
>
> with ESSID broadcast / hidden?
>

> Mac
ESSID broadcast.
I used to have no security until 10 minutes ago, when I enabled either
WPA or WPA2 (not sure which), with 128 bit passphrase. My lappy with
intel 3945abg wireless connects fine, as does my brother's desktop with
an rt61. Both of the above run gutsy. I haven't tested my desktop with
bcm4306 yet. Since there's noone in the house who has any sort of idea
about windows wireless at all, my parents' XP MCE 2005 with bcm4311
isn't connecting. If you use the windows utility, it says the passphrase
isn't the right length (it says it'll only accept 5 or 13 characters and
mine's 12) and if you use the belkin utility, it cant decide whether ive
got security enabled or not.
--
Alec Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>