** Andrew Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-11-13 09:21]:
> Paul Tansom wrote:
<<snip>>
> Do you remember Microland in Waterlooville precinct, Paul? And upstairs at
> the Baytree Bookshop? Ah, those were the days...
>
> I started out on a BBC Micro. We had the Graphics Extension ROM, as well
> as the word processor and Disc Doctor ROMs. I love browsing through
> http://www.beebgames.com/ for a trip down memory lane...
** end quote [Andrew Turner]

I most certainly do. I was in Microland on the day they opened and on
the day they closed. On the opening day I bought Jetpac and on the
closing day I picked up a few bits for my Amiga - a genlock, some video
editing software which they threw in for free and a BBC BASIC package
iirc. I remember watching Stuart sitting there smoking away whilst
playing with an Amiga and thinking that I really must get one when I
could afford it. I didn't buy my Amiga from them, that was Athene down
in Gosport, but I did get my GVP SCSI HD card with memory upgrade and a
Workbench 2.05 upgrade from there. Amazingly they were the best prices I
could find. One of the main staff there (other than Stuart and Bob) is
now working at PC World, and when I spoke to him a while back he said
that Stuart and Bob had recently moved from Cornwall to France. I still
regret not splashing out on the Memotech MTX computer they had when they
were closing down. Unfortunately I decided to think about it and when I
went back it had gone :(

The Baytree Bookshop was another favourite haunt of mine. I remember see
the Sam Coupe there and thinking it was interesting. I seem to remember
getting a dot matrix printer from them once, and I bought a copy of The
Hobbit for my Spectrum there too. The bookshop is still there, but not
the computer section sadly.

I have rather too many retro computers now, and several BBC Micros,
including one with the trackball, SCSI interface and Philips LVD player,
along with the BBC Doomsday project disks.

I take it you were local to Waterlooville back then. I was at Crookhorn
when Microland opened, and working at IBM iirc when the closed. Still
here, as you clearly noted :)