Tom Bamford wrote:
> Mac wrote:
>> Daniel >>> Thanks for your reassuring advice.  I've now tried the
>> reconfig.  Sad to say, I still get the 'Your session has been saved'
>> message when I click the log out button;  the proper log out screen does
>> not appear;  instead, the shutdown wav file plays, the screen clears to
>> the desktop image, and then the log on screen reappears.  Groundhog day!
>>   I have to do a Ctrl+Alt+F1, and issue the sudo shutdown 0 command to
>> get to a point where I can turn the computer off.
>>
>> I think a reinstall may be the only solution.  :-(
>>
>> Mac
> Before you nuke your system, have you tried adding a new user account
> and logging in and out with that? The problem may lie in your home
> directory files rather than 'in the system' somewhere.
>
> Regards,
> Tom

Thanks for the suggestion.  I confess I didn't get to try it, as was
already having a go with Debian.  Sadly, the install did not go
smoothly, and I abandoned the project.

But, prompted by Pete's suggestion, I looked again at Gutsy.  I did a
very careful, entirely-from-scratch download of the current iso, and was
delighted to discover that the CD drive problem I'd experienced before
on this Dell Inspiron 8200 had been resolved.  So I've just installed
Gutsy, which configured the Netgear WG511T wireless card instantly, and
I'm now up and running again just fine.

Thanks to everyone for giving their time and thought.

Mac