norman wrote:
> I have just received a little gadget which fits to an IDE hdd and,
> supposedly, converts it to a SATA hdd. Has anyone had experience of this
> gadget, please. If it works, my plan is to add the hdd, with Windows XP
> installed on it, to my Ubuntu box. This way I would hope to get a dual
> booting set up once the necessary changes or additions required are made
> to the booting up procedure.
>
> Norman

You may find you have issues with this if Windows is already on the
drive.  As far as I know they do work pretty well (they're a bit like
the USB to IDE convertors).  The problem is, Windows will be looking for
an IDE drive, and it won't see one, it'll just see SATA drives.

I thought you had the dual booting working, or is this another machine?

What you can do (which I've done before), is add the drive to another
SATA port, disconnect your Ubuntu drive, install Windows on this new
drive and then add back your Ubuntu drive.  You should be able to modify
the Grub configuration to list Windows, on this drive.

Rob