** Mac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-12-09 19:27]:
> You may have seen this report about problems with the latest Seagate USB
> drives with GNU/Linux:
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/06/seagate-snubs-linux
>
> Does anyone know how accurate this is?  I've been thinking of getting a
> 500Gb USB drive, and I've tended to use Seagates in the past.  I may
> need to think again.  What do you reckon?  How about Maxtor instead?
> (Yes, I know, Seagate owns them, too;  but I don't think the redesign
> has included Maxtors - yet???)
** end quote [Mac]

Sounds like the purchase of Maxtor has dragged Seagate down to their
level to me. I've stopped purchasing Maxtor drives because of the high
fallout rate I've experienced. That's based on PATA drives, not SATA,
SCSI or anything fitted into an enclosure of any form.

As an aside, I can't quite believe that artical actually contained "are
not compatible with the Open Sauce operating system Linux". Personally I
always put the top back on my sauces, so they are rarely left open ;)