Paul Tansom wrote:
> ** Mac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-12-09 19:27]:
>> You may have seen this report about problems with the latest Seagate USB
>> drives with GNU/Linux:
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/06/seagate-snubs-linux
>>
>> Does anyone know how accurate this is?  I've been thinking of getting a
>> 500Gb USB drive, and I've tended to use Seagates in the past.  I may
>> need to think again.  What do you reckon?  How about Maxtor instead?
>> (Yes, I know, Seagate owns them, too;  but I don't think the redesign
>> has included Maxtors - yet???)
> ** end quote [Mac]
>
> Sounds like the purchase of Maxtor has dragged Seagate down to their
> level to me. I've stopped purchasing Maxtor drives because of the high
> fallout rate I've experienced. That's based on PATA drives, not SATA,
> SCSI or anything fitted into an enclosure of any form.
>
> As an aside, I can't quite believe that artical actually contained "are
> not compatible with the Open Sauce operating system Linux". Personally I
> always put the top back on my sauces, so they are rarely left open ;)

The power saving system is the problem and although it can be
disabled, (using something like
sdparm --clear STANDBY -6 /dev/sd[Your device] )  I believe seagate do
not accept it as covered by warranty. It is not simply a matter of
fomatting the (NTFS) drive. I certainly will not be putting any money
seagate (or maxtor) way until further notice!

--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391