On 30/12/07 14:33:42, norman wrote:
> My son has received some photographs of his wedding on a VCD and has
> asked me if it is possible to extract individual images. I have Googled
> away and followed various paths but, whilst there are lots of ways to
> put images into a vcd, I have not come across one clear way to reverse
> the process. Can anyone help me please?

MPlayer has a handy jpeg output driver which saves every frame of a video as a
JPEG file in the current directory (It will save a lot of these). You can then
pick out some of them.

You'll want a command line something like:

        mplayer -vo jpeg vcd://

Depending on the stucture of the VCD you might need a number after the vcd://
to play something other than the first title/chapter/whatever they're called
in VCDs on the disk. Mplayer defaults to using /dev/cdrom as the CD device,
it's probably easier to make sure that does point at your CD drive rather than
trying to find the right option to tell mplayer to look somewhere else (the
mplayer man page can be interesting reading though).