On 09/01/2008, Chris Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Kris Douglas wrote:
> > Hi, thanks for the help, I tried this before, and got the message
> >

> > libnotify-Message: Unable to get session bus: dbus-launch failed to
> > autolaunch D-Bus session: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.
> >

> > It appeares i would have to actually be on the X server to run it, do
> you
> > know of a way to specify the location the message is sent to? like
> display
> > :0?
> >
> What you need to do when logged in remotely as root is:
>
> DISPLAY=:0; XAUTHORITY=~owner_of:0/.Xauthority; export DISPLAY XAUTHORITY
>
> You will probably need to parse the output of `who` for the display and
> user name, that way you can send the message to everyone who is logged
> in to X on that machine. Also checkout zenity.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com

Hi, I got the following:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ DISPLAY=:0; XAUTHORITY=~owner_of:0/.Xauthority;
export DISPLAY XAUTHORITY
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ notify-send "title message" "Message body
text"         libnotify-Message: Unable to get session bus: dbus-launch
failed to autolaunch D-Bus session: Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by
server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.

--
Kris Douglas
      Softdel Limited Hosting Services

      Web: www.softdel.net