Kris Douglas wrote:
> On 05/02/2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I have a confession to make... I... I...
>>
>> I use AOL
>>
>> *sob*
>>
>> But it's due to BT being a bunch of [insert chosen expletive]. Where I live
>> I can only get 1/2mb broadband and BT wanted to charge me £27/mth for it.
>> Even though people were getting 8mb for £27! So my only other (unlimited)
>> alternative was AOL, £17/mth and no cap.
>>
>> I have to be honest, in the past few years with them I've had no down time
>> at all.
>>
>> Only fault with them is their God awful AOL browser thing. And you really
>> need to run that thing at least once to set up a decent (secure) log in, I
>> did it that once back when I was dual booting. Not sure if the browser thing
>> runs in WINE, but once you have a secure username and password set you can
>> use a router/modem to do the logging in. I use Linux 24/7 with AOL and it's
>> dandy.
>>
>> But keep it to yourself, don't go telling everyone I use AOL!  ;D
>>

>> Quoting Matthew Macdonald-Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I've just moved to wales and because I didn't finish the 12 months
>>> contract on my broadband with Plus.net they're going to charge me the
>>> privilige of £145.00 to move my broadband even though I want to keep
>>> them as a supplier!!!
>>>
>>> AOL are currently offering a free dell 1520 laptop (now discontinued!)
>>> and my wife has suggested taking the broadband offer, selling the
>>> laptop and making some cash.
>>>
>>> I like the idea, however I cringe when I think about using AOL, does
>>> anyone have any advice?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> M.
>>> --
>>> Matthew Macdonald-Wallace
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> GPG KEY:
>>>
>> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFEA1BC16
>>
>>> --
>>> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com
>>>

>> --
>> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com
>>

> AOL doesn't actually need anything special, replace the modem they
> give you, enter the settings and you don't need to use the browser or
> the stupid login thing for anything.

Not sure about now-a-days but they used to give you a crap username that
was part of your name (initials I think) and part of your postcode, and
the password was something like '1234'. The only way to create a new
(decent) username (or to change the password) was through their crappy
browser thing...

--
Ronnie Tucker

[EMAIL PROTECTED]