Hi All

I've just taken delivery of a new LaCie 80 Gb usb external hard drive.On
plugging it in to my laptop (running dual win xp/gutsy) it automounted without
error. I have copied some files and folders to it (both from a windows xp
partition and the ubuntu partition) without issue but then noticed that I could
not save any of the documents that I was working on. Further investigation
showed that everything on the drive was mounted with the permission stu:root.

I have tried several ways to change the group to my normal users group but keep
getting an "Operation not permitted" error whether I do it as a normal user,
through sudo or as full root.

Can anyone explain why this has happened and what I need to do to sort the
problem out.

Thanks in advance

Stu