Eddie Armstrong wrote:
> I have looked on the Ubuntu site but can't find the system requirements
> for Ubuntu Server.
> Does anybody know what they are?

If you're not running a GUI, you really can get away with stupidly small
requirements. I have an Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS running on a virtual
server with 64MB RAM and a 5% share in a 2GHz CPU (equivalent to
100MHz), but running very little other than LigHTTPd and Sendmail.

More realistically for Samba and a LAMP environment (web server,
scripting language and database), but still without a GUI, I'd say 128MB
RAM and a 600MHz CPU.

> I have an old PIII or I can use a Pentium 4 if necessary.
> I would like to put XFCE on there in case I need a  GUI at some stage

Xubuntu's minimum requirements list only RAM and hard drive space.
Theoretically 64MB RAM if you use the alternate install, 128MB
otherwise. If you're running Samba+LAMP too then I'd recommend at least
256MB. It doesn't specify minimum CPU requirements, but I'd suggest at
least 800MHz. For hard disk space, you'll need at least 1.5GB for the
basic install plus another 0.5GB for Samba and the LAMP stuff.

(Listed towards the bottom of http://www.xubuntu.org/get )

If you'd like to see what you can achieve with 1.5GHz AMD Athlon CPU,
768MB PC133 RAM and an elderly 64MB Nvidia GeForce2MX PCI graphics card:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0GOlLJP_Knk

--
Andrew Oakley