On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 11:47 +0000, Paul Tansom wrote:
> Does anyone have any ideas why Synaptic and add/remove programs would
> both be insisting on using a proxy that is no longer configured? I've
> not only disabled, but removed the configuration information for the
> proxy in Synaptic. I've checked that there is no /etc/apt/apt.conf proxy
> information (in fact Synaptic seems to have deleted it). Sadly using
> aptitude on the command line was also insisting on using a proxy until I
> rebooted! I can now upgrade things, but not through Synaptic. That's
> fine by me in terms of being able to use things, but wouldn't be so good
> for a normal end user, and does leave me wondering what else may be
> broken.

Have you looked in the /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ directory. There are a bunch
of files in there, in one of them you may find a proxy setting. I recall
setting up proxying for some of my servers here by adding a line in one
of those files (although I now use apt-cache for that job). Doing the
reverse should just be a case of removing the line containing the proxy
and running 'apt-get update'.

Kind regards
--
Alistair Crust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>