** Alistair Crust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-02-18 11:58]:
> On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 11:47 +0000, Paul Tansom wrote:
> > Does anyone have any ideas why Synaptic and add/remove programs would
> > both be insisting on using a proxy that is no longer configured? I've
> > not only disabled, but removed the configuration information for the
> > proxy in Synaptic. I've checked that there is no /etc/apt/apt.conf proxy
> > information (in fact Synaptic seems to have deleted it). Sadly using
> > aptitude on the command line was also insisting on using a proxy until I
> > rebooted! I can now upgrade things, but not through Synaptic. That's
> > fine by me in terms of being able to use things, but wouldn't be so good
> > for a normal end user, and does leave me wondering what else may be
> > broken.
>
> Have you looked in the /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ directory. There are a bunch
> of files in there, in one of them you may find a proxy setting. I recall
> setting up proxying for some of my servers here by adding a line in one
> of those files (although I now use apt-cache for that job). Doing the
> reverse should just be a case of removing the line containing the proxy
> and running 'apt-get update'.
** end quote [Alistair Crust]

Yes, I've checked through there already - just forgot to mention it! I
also forgot to mention that the update agent is working quite happily
and listing those updates that are available. Sadly the update manager
returns to wherever it gets the proxy information from and fails to
actually download the updates. It doesn't actually stop telling me it
can't talk to the proxy, just sits there quietly failing - unless you
'show progress of single files' then it sites there listing the status
of each one as failed (not quite bright enough to realise that if it
can't contact the proxy then they will all fail!). It does tell you for
each individual file that it failed to contact the proxy at the end
though. I also forgot to add that I'm using Gutsy. I think that's all I
forgot :)