** Alan Pope <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-02-18 13:37]:
> On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 12:54 +0000, Gavin Ford wrote:
> > The number one killer-app that I find stops people moving to Linux is games.
>
> Maybe some people, but not all. My wife, niece and brother all use Linux
> on their main computer. None of them are interested in games. They all
> use the pretty standard apps you get on any desktop.

Same here, no interest in games at all on PCs, although my wife has just
got hooked on Frozen Bubble :)

> > Windows is for gamers, because games are for Windows.
>
> I know a few people who dual boot Windows and Linux. Only using Windows
> for gaming. Seems ideal.

I actually gave up on PC games shortly after they started moving from
DOS to Windows, although I wasn't a big DOS gamer either. I moved
through the old 'micro' computers up to the Amiga, and when DOS/Windows
started fouling the ease of gaming up realised that consoles were no
longer the crippled computers they used to be. Windows was crippling
computers, so consoles became useful :)

> >   I don't play computer
> > games much so I don't have a Windows machine.  All my gaming is covered by
> > Gnome Mahjongg and ScummVM.
>
> Heh. My games are fulfilled by emulators such as xfuse (spectrum) and
> mame (arcade) :)

Yay for retro ;)
** end quote [Alan Pope]