> > I've been pondering upon the possibility of setting up a vps as a
> > mobile internet proxy.
>
> I've did pretty much that that, using squid. Instead of image
> transcoding, I simply replaced all images with a 1x1 pixel transparent
> GIF. The result was effectively a "text only" proxy, ideal for keeping
> laptop GPRS bills down. It was simple and worked rather well.
>
> I stopped using it when I discovered the "Image Show Hide" addon for
> Firefox!
>
> Note that it is incredibly easy to misconfigure Squid so that it proxies
> all kinds of things, like SMTP for spammers. Oops.

Heh - tell me about it. I run a dansguardian/squid web content
filtering proxy at work, and one of the  other techies I work with saw
it and thought it'd be a good idea to set up something similar on a
VPS so that his friends and families could use it to keep their kids
safe...

He became quite exasperated his server nearly brought down by the
volume of traffic going through it!

Chris