Ian Pascoe wrote:
> Folks
>
> As the Audio Description service on digital TV seems to be becoming more
> widespread on broadcasts these days, I was wondering if anyone knew of any
> media centre application that dealt with AD.
>
> So far everything I found seems to be around digiboxes and Sky boxes, but I
> haven't as yet found any PC TV / Media cards that support this feature or
> software that can deal with it .... unless of course you know something
> different?
>
> Cheers

> Audio Description is where a visually impaired viewer gets extra audio
> information to describe things like body language, movement of people etc
> during a TV program.

I may be wrong, but I would have thought that it would be an extra audio
stream in the MPEG stream.  I'm sure Mplayer would be able to play this
alternative audio stream (a bit like multiple audio streams on DVDs),
assuming you have the hardware to capture the MPEG streams (Freeview
card or something).

What programmes support it now?

I've got the feature on my TV with integrated Freeview although every
time I try it I just get silence (although it does say English Audio
Descriptive as the language).

Rob