On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Rob Beard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Christopher Chatfield wrote:
>  > I have only run various flavours of linux for the past 3 years.
>  > I am not a games player but my son is.  There is an extra
>  > special game about to be released, that will only play on windows.
>  >
>  > I want to run windows in paranoid mode, but there are other members
>  > of my household and I cannot afford a dedicated paranoid machine.
>  >
>  > How do I permanantly disable networking in windows XP so that
>  > my savy teenage children will not be able to enable it.
>  >
>  > Can I delete an appropriate library, without crippling the system?
>  >
>  > If so what and where.
>  >
>  > Look forward to an answer for this off topic question,
>  > but I am sure one of you will warm to the idea of crippling
>  > a windows system.
>  >

>  Create an account for your son to use which is a normal user (i.e. not
>  the first user that Windows creates which is always an administrator).
>
>  Using the account with admin rights, go into Device Manager (right click
>  on My Computer, select Manage, in the management window go to Device
>  Manager).  Find your network card in the list and right click on it.
>  There should be an option to disable it.  It will disable the driver and
>  stop the card working.  Only an administrator will be able re-enable the
>  card (for things like Windows updates).
>
>  Hopefully this should do the job.
>
>  Personally though I find keeping up with the latest hardware for games
>  is a real chore.  You may find in the long run it's cheaper to just buy
>  something like an XBOX360 (which chances are the game will be released on).

What's this game, because some of them are based on multiplayer. But,
if you want to stop the networking, there are many things you can do,
for example, blocking all ports to that computer and putting a very
strong password on the router.

But, may I ask why you would not want the windows machine on the
network, to be quite honest, as long as all you are doing is playing
games, the computer will not come to harm if you have something like
Avast antivirus or AVG or ClamAV. I run windows XP on many machines,
without hassle.

Additionally, anyone can circumvent a windows xp admin account with
less than 10 mins of work, I have done it in genuine situations where
a password was lost.

--
Kris Douglas
 Softdel Limited Hosting Services