On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 23:23 +0100, James Westby wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 21:54 +0100, Tan Xuan You wrote:
> > Each time, I tested by enabling compiz via the System menu, then
> > restarting X by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. All the times I tested the
> > window decorations didn't show up.
>
> Hi,
>
> One thing that may get you more information is to start with metacity,
> i.e. no effects, and then open a terminal and run
>
>   compiz --replace & disown
>
> (the "& disown" bit is a good idea, as having an X terminal control
> the window manager can lead to some bad things)
>
> Then post the resulting output here, and search Google using the
> suspicious messages. It seems like compiz has been tested on nearly
> every chipset/driver/Xserver/kernel version, so normally the error
> messages are known to Google.
>
> The alternative is that this information is ~/.xsession-errors, but this
> way you get all the bits that correspond to compiz.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

Thanks for the tip. I got a wealth of information.

Checking for Xgl: not present.
Detected PCI ID for VGA: 01:00.0 0300: 10de:0407 (rev a1) (prog-if 00
[VGA])
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
Checking for non power of two support: present.
Checking for Composite extension: present.
Comparing resolution (1920x1200) to maximum 3D texture size (8192):
Passed.
Checking for nVidia: present.
Checking for FBConfig: present.
Checking for Xgl: not present.
Starting emerald
/usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format,
disabling YV12 image format
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: No GLXFBConfig for depth 32
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: No GLXFBConfig for depth 32
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: No GLXFBConfig for depth 32
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: No GLXFBConfig for depth 32
/usr/bin/compiz.real (resizeinfo) - Warn: Bind Pixmap to Texture failure
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: No GLXFBConfig for depth 32
/usr/bin/compiz.real (resizeinfo) - Warn: Bind Pixmap to Texture failure
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: No GLXFBConfig for depth 32
/usr/bin/compiz.real (wall) - Error: Couldn't create cairo context for
switcher
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: No GLXFBConfig for depth 32
/usr/bin/compiz.real (wall) - Error: Couldn't create cairo context for
switcher
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: No GLXFBConfig for depth 32
/usr/bin/compiz.real (wall) - Error: Couldn't create cairo context for
switcher
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: No GLXFBConfig for depth 32
/usr/bin/compiz.real (wall) - Error: Couldn't create cairo context for
switcher
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: No GLXFBConfig for depth 32
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Info: Couldn't bind redirected window
0x3400020 to texture

/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: No GLXFBConfig for depth 32
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Info: Couldn't bind redirected window
0x3400020 to texture

I tried installing xserver-xgl, but no window decorations showed up
either, and it was painfully slow when repainting. Perhaps it was
because my gfx card was being worked all the time?

Some people say xgl is required (for ATI cards at least), most people
suggest the same argb-glx-visuals trick, some have suggested disabling
and re-enabling the window-decorator plugin, some have suggested forcing
the window-decorator plugin ¨command¨ option.

I´ve tried all the above to no avail.

Hmm. At least it looks like a compiz - nvidia problem now, nothing much
to do with gnome, as the same problem creeps up with beryl/kde, and
afaik, xgl.

I installed nvidia-glx from the Ubuntu repos and am using the nVidia
autoconfiguration xorg.conf file.

Any further tips?

Xuan You.