Thanks again for all for the suggestions.

I tried Lucy's first and was indeed able to re-create the original
user2.  Unfortunately, however, I was unable to sudo cp -a the original
files back into user2's home.  Furthermore the permissions (for me the
bane of Linux) have been altered. Even trying to write files to the home
directory elicits an error message suggesting that the directory does
not exist, all very frustrating. Luckily I have been able to copy the
important files by fudging backups via the network.

Cheers,

Keith.

---
Keith Bowerman,
Prestwood, south Staffs, England.
Using Ubuntu 8.04 on a Linux only machine