Once again thanks to everyone, particularly Lucy, for all the replies
and suggestions with regard to my problem.

Unfortunately I didn't seem to be getting anywhere so eventually I
decided to bite the bullet and reinstall although I accept that that's
bnot the ideal solution.  Anyway, things are a little better now but not
perfect, for instance user2 still cannot gain access to the external USB
hard drive where our backups, etc. are stored.

Anyway, I'll soldier on and maybe even get to grips with the command
line, who knows?

Regards,

Keith.

--
Keith Bowerman,
Prestwood, south Staffordshire, England.