I'm thinking of having a go at setting up a file server and music server
using 8.04 LTS.  Being a cautious type, I've been investigating what
might go wrong (forewarned is forearmed!).  I came across the comments
below (slighted edited) from someone who's reasonably tech-savvy, and
wondered if folks here could give me some guidance on whether the
comments are true and how much hassle someone new to servers (=me!)
would have with the installation.

############
"On the other hand, I built a Ubuntu server last weekend. Here's a
selection of the things which caused me grief out of the box:
* No CPU power saving enabled
* No fanspeed control installed
* Needed to set noatime to allow discs to spin down (and had to set
discs to spin down!)
* Had to compile a upnp server from source, which took a few goes to
get right
* No automatic updates by default (!!) - had to install and configure
cron-apt
* cron-apt needed a working mail environment so then had to get exim
working , and then smtp auth, etc etc (that took a while)

I'm sure there was more I'm forgetting, but you get the idea. Now not
all of this is needed for everyone (though I would imagine much of it
is), and of course next time I need to build a box it'll go much
quicker as I know what I'm doing. But I always smile when people who
are clearly very knowledgeable in a field exclaim how it's so easy
anyone could do it - we forget what we're good at!"

I don't know whether I need to control CPU speed and fan speed or
install a upnp server (??);  but automatic updates and having the discs
spin down seem fairly basic requirements.  And it sounds like the guy
above had a lot of hassle to set up automatic updates.

Any thoughts??

TIA

Mac