On 07/08/2008, Michael Holloway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  I don't know of many "aimed at/for/by women" communities, but a few of
>  the KUbuntu contributors and Planet-ubuntu members are part of the KDE
>  Women team. http://women.kde.org/ They might have some interesting info
>  on this topic there.

A quick list:
ubuntu-women
linuxchix
debian-women
gnome-women
apache-women
bsdchix
drupalchix
fedora women
systers (part of the Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology)

I've missed loads, I didn't realise there were so many.

http://ubuntu-women.org/faq.html covers this (it's a very common argument).

>While the general open
>  communities are often "boys-clubs", they are not limited to boys only.

Unfortunately, the statistics disagree with you. For what ever reason
the FOSS community is almost completely male and left to itself I
don't think it will change. Women only groups are a reaction to the
situation and part of the solution, but they are not the final
solution.

Also, there is nothing stopping a man from becoming part of a women's
group (ubuntu-women have a number of useful male contributers for
example).