On Thursday 28 August 2008 11:47:46 Lucy wrote:
> On 28/08/2008, London School of Puppetry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi there - I suppose my concern is not a personal need to join a group
> > etc- but rather the impression an organisation makes- I think Ubuntu is
> > great- and the support from the 'community'(male or female) helping me to
> > make a necessity work - I am irritated by female Windows users I know who
> > don't need it for games, sound and film editing and so COULD switch to
> > Ubuntu but it seems such a big deal because of the atmos surrounding open
> > source.an atmosphere that has never bothered me personally-I have to say!

Actually, I do use Kubuntu for film editing - I record programmes from DVB-T &
DVB-S tuners with Kaffeine, edit out the adverts with DVBCut and then burn
them to DVD - and I have done a bit of sound editing with Audacity.

> Hmm, interesting. Why do computers create such fear in people? I've
> known plenty of users who were scared of changing their basic
> computing habits, never mind their OS. I've not considered the effect
> that the perception of open source could have though, I thought that
> was something which mainly affected large organisations.
>
> I'd be interested to know whether people were put off using
> linux/Ubuntu because it's 'open source' and why, and what we as a
> community could do to change it.

I think one reason is that they think installing Linux is going to mean using
the CLI for many things and having to compile programs. Something that may
have been true a few years ago, but less so these days.

Most of them think the Internet means Internet Explorer and wordprocessing
means using MS Word. The media as a whole doesn't help matters either.

As to how we could change things, I'm not sure. I would love to hold an
K/Ubuntu install day around where I live, but the local Linux group has gone
quiet recently.